The department receives annual funding from the College to support faculty travel. This funding is from the McMillan endowment.
A call for proposals will be issued each fall semester, to be reviewed and approved by the Merit Advisory Committee (MAC). If funding still remains after the fall semester round of approvals, another call for proposals will be issued for spring semester. However, it is strongly encouraged to submit requests for the full academic year during the fall semester.
To apply for a portion of the funds, a detailed request (including budget and outline of how funds will be used) is required. Some items to note:
- Previous MACs have approved travel expenses for a variety of reasons: fieldwork, visits to archives, conference attendance, etc.
- MAC may approve only partial funding for a project.
- A faculty member's current available research funds will be taken into consideration. If you would like the MAC to disregard these funds when making their decision, please include in your proposal outline an explanation as to why.
The terms of the McMillan endowment only allow for travel expenses. The following expenses are not allowed:
- Membership fees for professional organizations.
- Registration for online conferences. (Registration for in-person conferences is allowed.)
- Expenses related to surveys, such as participant payments, design contracts, etc.
- Expenses related to book conferences (contact Alexis for further details).